Martini, Fuzzy Navel, Or Spiritual Enlightenment


I look at people walking down the street, in the malls, sipping their coffees and I wonder how many of them really understand the nature of spirit their spirit. Now I'm no great spiritual mind but I take the time to contemplate. Most people don't even think about it. They just drift along existing never really getting any closer to deity or their own spiritual truths. The most fundamental building blocks they ignore. They don't take any time to explore who they are as spiritual beings and spend half their lives denying their true nature.

It's like the most important or natural parts of being human are meaningless. People would spend 7 years in school, 40 hours a week, countless amounts of money, and thought to ensure they can acquire dollars, but those same people will call themselves "religiously devoted" by attending some 2 hour service once a week.

I have never been a great promoter of organized religion. I believe that most people develop a close relationship with deity when directly communing, interacting, and praying. Sitting as a spectator to the praise of another brings you no closer to spiritual growth. Of course there are exceptions in children, and for some that is the best path, but in general I believe sitting, listening to someone else’s interpretation and ideas about spirit and God constructs is not the best way to cultivate a spiritual path.

I say this because I have been taking a spiritual journey. I've devoted myself to learning and experiencing spiritual growth. I ask others about their experiences and they have nothing to say. Most don't even know what I mean. I say "have you studied any other religions, do you know any of the basic tenets of what the rest of the world may or may not believe, have you investigated the origins and founding of what you believe, do you actively seek communication through prayer or meditation or movement etc, have you felt a shift in thought or your life with the intervention of spiritual knowledge"? They just stare.

I don't mean everyone should be a cloistered monk, I certainly am not, it's just that people devote less energy to their spiritual selves than they do on choosing and purchasing beverages. It's just such a huge piece of people I don't really understand why it's so easy to dismiss.
In other cultures spiritual talk, learning, and understanding is a part of everyday life. Here I say anything about divinity and people roll their eyes. And I know it's not because no one cares, people believe in an afterlife, most people believe one's spirit can affect emotions, and health. People see the benefit in people who have taken the time to understand and yet...

I used to think perhaps I'm the factor that closes their mouths. Maybe I seem like I'll try to cram my religion down their throat but I just listen in fact most people don't even know what my religious beliefs are because if I ask a question it's about spirit not religion. Spirit transcends the religious barriers men create. I just wonder about it.

No comments: